A recent blog by a mystery shopping firm named Ellis gave this good summary of 5 red flags of mystery shopping scams:
1. If you are asked to pay to be a part of a mystery shopping company, do not join in.
2. Don’t expect to see monthly fees or membership fees in order to view and accept assignments.
3. Guaranteed mystery shopping jobs – no such thing.
4. If a third party company attempts to sign you up for an affiliated mystery shopping company.
5. Asking you to wire cash.
Bottom Line….Always Do your Homework
• Look for companies who will work directly with you.
• Check them out with the Better Business Bureau
Mystery shopping is definitely an enjoyable and great way to make some extra cash. Do not let mystery shopping scams deter you from the real mystery shopping opportunities out there.